Learning Goal: Create a purpose for solving equations and connect student strategies to formal equations.
3 Act Math
- Filling it up! (Jon Orr)
- Lesson Implementation Guide
- Use big whiteboards and have each group member write with different colors
- Write pre-scripted questions for audience members to ask during presentations
- Common Core
- HSA.CED.A.1 – Create equations and inequalities in one variable and use them to solve problems. Include equations arising from linear and quadratic functions, and simple rational and exponential functions.
- 8.EE.C.7 – Solve linear equations in one variable.
- 8.EE.C.7.B – Solve linear equations with rational number coefficients, including equations whose solutions require expanding expressions using the distributive property and collecting like terms.
- A.5(A) – solve linear equations in one variable, including those for which the application of the distributive property is necessary and for which variables are included on both sides