Learning Goal: Build procedural fluency with calculating distance between 2 points while maintaining curiosity.
- Warm Up
- Ungraded Formative Assessment / Construction Challenge
- Click here to see how to use this assessment
- Pear Deck
- Do Ungraded Formative Assessment on paper
- Common Core
- HSG.GPE.B.7 – Use coordinates to compute perimeters of polygons and areas of triangles and rectangles, e.g., using the distance formula.
- HSG.CO.D.12 – Make formal geometric constructions with a variety of tools and methods (compass and straightedge, string, reflective devices, paper folding, dynamic geometric software, etc.). Copying a segment; copying an angle; bisecting a segment; bisecting an angle; constructing perpendicular lines, including the perpendicular bisector of a line segment; and constructing a line parallel to a given line through a point not on the line.
- G.2(B) – derive and use the distance, slope, and midpoint formulas to verify geometric relationships, including congruence of segments and parallelism or perpendicularity of pairs of lines
- G.5(B) – construct congruent segments, congruent angles, a segment bisector, an angle bisector, perpendicular lines, the perpendicular bisector of a line segment, and a line parallel to a given line through a point not on a line using a compass and a straightedge