Learning Goal: Build conceptual and procedural fluency with calculating the midpoint of 2 points.
- Play with desmos.com/geometry
- Common Core
- HSG.GPE.B.6 – Find the point on a directed line segment between two given points that partitions the segment in a given ratio.
- HSG.CO.D.12 – Make formal geometric constructions with a variety of tools and methods (compass and straightedge, string, reflective devices, paper folding, dynamic geometric software, etc.). Copying a segment; copying an angle; bisecting a segment; bisecting an angle; constructing perpendicular lines, including the perpendicular bisector of a line segment; and constructing a line parallel to a given line through a point not on the line.
- G.2(A) – determine the coordinates of a point that is a given fractional distance less than one from one end of a line segment to the other in one- and two-dimensional coordinate systems, including finding the midpoint
- G.2(B) – derive and use the distance, slope, and midpoint formulas to verify geometric relationships, including congruence of segments and parallelism or perpendicularity of pairs of lines
- G.5(B) – construct congruent segments, congruent angles, a segment bisector, an angle bisector, perpendicular lines, the perpendicular bisector of a line segment, and a line parallel to a given line through a point not on a line using a compass and a straightedge