Learning Goal: Introduce functions with a Desmos activity, make connection about what makes a function functional using a mistake from the activity, and practice some example problems.
- Function Carnival (Desmos)
- Connection Handout / Notes
- Start by showing this screencast of Cannon Man multiplying
- Ask students to discuss why this happened
- Make the connection to the vertical line test
- Move onto notes
- Common Core
- HSF.IF.A.1 – Understand that a function from one set (called the domain) to another set (called the range) assigns to each element of the domain exactly one element of the range. If f is a function and x is an element of its domain, then f(x) denotes the output of f corresponding to the input x. The graph of f is the graph of the equation y = f(x).
- HSF.IF.A.2 – Use function notation, evaluate functions for inputs in their domains, and interpret statements that use function notation in terms of a context.
- TEKS (2015-16)
- A.12(A) – decide whether relations represented verbally, tabularly, graphically, and symbolically define a function