Learning Goal: Understand that the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. Also, develop understanding of Pythagorean Triples.
3 Act Math
- Fore Right!
- Use big whiteboards and have each group member write with different colors
- Write pre-scripted questions for audience members to ask during presentations
- Connection Handout / Notes
- Some problems taken from New Visions
- Go over Concept Quiz
- Students complete analysis handout in order to prepare for retake. See retake policy and learning folders post for more details.
- Common Core
- HSG.SRT.B.4 – Prove theorems about triangles. Theorems include: a line parallel to one side of a triangle divides the other two proportionally, and conversely; the Pythagorean Theorem proved using triangle similarity.
- HSG.SRT.C.8 – Use trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean Theorem to solve right triangles in applied problems.
- G.6(D) – verify theorems about the relationships in triangles, including proof of the Pythagorean Theorem, the sum of interior angles, base angles of isosceles triangles, midsegments, and medians, and apply these relationships to solve problems
- G.9(B) – apply the relationships in special right triangles 30°-60°-90° and 45°-45°-90° and the Pythagorean theorem, including Pythagorean triples, to solve problems