Learning Goal: Develop understanding of how to calculate the area of regular polygons.
- Estimation – Saint Anthony Falls
- Maybe start day by constructing a regular hexagon by hand and color it?
- Talk about why using the radius as our compass measure works (equilateral triangles).
- Ask why this makes a hexagon?
- Compare to sector area problem we had from previous quiz.
- Warm Up
- Spiraling Practice
- Many problems taken from New Visions
- Common Core
- 6.G.A.1 – Find the area of right triangles, other triangles, special quadrilaterals, and polygons by composing into rectangles or decomposing into triangles and other shapes; apply these techniques in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.
- G.11(A) – apply the formula for the area of regular polygons to solve problems using appropriate units of measure